This past Wednesday, a fire broke out in a neighborhood I visited often. I was alarmed when I saw reports of the fire on Facebook. Yesterday the cause of the fire was determined to have been caused by a cigarette butt. Someone discarded a cigarette butt in an enclosed porch! (Link to article)
Thirty people lost their homes. Twelve apartments were destroyed. When I saw the video on Wednesday, I saw at least four buildings ablaze, but I think the final amount was seven buildings.
I have been a renter for a long time. Sometimes I choose not to buy renter’s insurance. I did buy it when I moved last year. It costs me less than $20 a month. This incident helps me realize that I should always buy renter’s insurance.